Sharpening the blade of the clippers is a very simple thing to do. You just need to monitor when your clippers need sharpening. Simply take the blade out of the clippers and sharpen them with some sharpening tools or just replace the old blade with a new one.
Your dog’s clipper becomes dull? Causes irritation every time you try to trim the hairs of the dog? Then your dog’s clipper must need a sharpening treatment.
In this article, you will come to know how to sharpen your dog’s clippers. Make this a habit to sharpen the blades because it’s a hygienic practice and make trimming easy also.
How to sharpen dog clippers:
For easy sharpening of the dogs, clippers follow the following easy steps.
- Take the blade out; first of all, ensure that the clippers are not plugged in or otherwise in portable model remove the batteries before opening the clippers.
The blades are held in the clippers by two or different methods depending upon the model you are using. Push the tabs which hold the blades and the blade will pop out. Remove the blade then carefully out from the clipper.
In some models, blades are held with two screws. Loosen the screws carefully and remove the blade from them. Place the screws in consideration so that don’t feel difficulty while reassembling the clippers.
- Brushing the blade; now take a rough toothbrush or a brush that came with the clippers. Clean the clippers head and the blade with that brush carefully. Remove as many hairs as you can from the clippers head and blade by using this brushing procedure.
- Cleaning the blade;make a cleaning solution using any soap or detergent. Clean the clippers using that solution. Scrub the solution over the surface of the clippers with the help of a cotton pad to remove any debris.
For blade cleaning it is recommended to soak the blade in the detergent solution for at least 10-15 minutes or more. After removing from the solution clean the blades with the clean cloth and let them dry properly.
- Collect sharpening tools; as a sharpening tool, you need a honing stone along with an 8000 gritstone.
If your blade is of ceramic material then you will need a diamond stone to sharpen your blade. These all kinds of sharpening stones are available in any hardware store.
- Spraying water on the sharpening stone; spray water on the sharpening stone. If the stone absorbs the water then your stone must have to soak in water for at least 10 minutes. When after spraying, a thin sheen of water remains on the surface then the stone is ready to use.
- Blade holding and sharpening; hold the blade between your thumb and index finger. Keep the blade at 35-45 degrees of angle and try not to deviate from this angle. Move the blade on the stone in one direction by keeping the angle constant. Do that several times for one side.
Now change the side and do the same for that side too.
Before changing the side of the blade wipes the powder off from the sharpening stone.
Wipe the blade off when finished.
- Clippers reassembling; the blades are now sharpened and clippers are cleaned. Now it’s time to put the blades back in the clippers. Put the screws back in the position and before tightening pour a drop of lubricant oil on the screws and the blade. Then turn the clippers on and run the blade so that the oil distributes properly.
Your dog’s clippers are now all new to use.
How often should dog clippers blade be sharpened?
The sharpening frequency of the clippers blade directly depends on its usage. If you use the clippers for a few minutes in your whole day then frequent sharpening is not required.
Professional dog groomers use their clippers intensively so they need to sharpen their clippers blade after every four to six weeks.
The sharpening of the blades increases the efficiency of the machine and makes trimming easy for the groomer and the dog too.
How do I know if the clipper blades are dull?
There is a simple technique to check if your clipper blades are sharp or dull.
Simply pull the blade out of the clipper and carefully run your finger along the blade on 90 degrees angle. You will feel the level of sharpness or dullness that your blade is offering.
How many times can you sharpen clipper blades?
On average a clipper’s blade can be sharpened two to three times then you have to replace the blade with a new one.
But if the coat of your dog is clean then you can sharpen the blade even more than three times before replacing it with the new one.
There is no hard and fast rule for the replacement of the blades it just solely depends on its frequency of usage and how the blade is being used.
Here is a comprehensive guide about the best dog clippers for poodles
Ending the discussion here by giving a brief conclusion to it, as it is obvious from the above discussion that sharpening nail clippers are not complicated. It is a simple and usual thing to do. The sharpening routine depends on the usage of the clippers and the type of hair coat your dog has. If your dog has a thick hair coat and you trim her hair rarely then your clippers will need frequent cleaning, if you trim every day little by little then your clippers still need frequent sharpening and cleaning.
One thing more to mention, if you find it laborious to sharpen your clipper blades you may replace it with a new one every time you feel like the blades are getting dull.
Hopefully, this article brings ease to you and will find it helpful while cleaning your clippers.
If you find it helpful let us know in the comment section below and also let us know with your curies and questions too in the comment section.