Some dog owners prefer the harness instead of the collar because harnesses are more comfortable for the dogs, and easy to pull for the owners. Putting on a harness is sometimes a tricky thing to do. Here is a complete guide on how to put on a dog harness.
Once you get the tactic it becomes easy for you to put the harness on your dog.
Types of harnesses:
The harnesses are of 2 type
- Step in harness
- Overhead harness
How to put on a dog harness
Step in harness is relatively easy to wear by the dog. Follow the following steps to put on your dog the step-in harness.
- Placing harness on the ground; In the first step place, the unbuckle harness in the ground in an upside-down position facing the outer side to the ground. In a wider view while placed on the ground your harness should have two leg loops separating by a strap.
Sometimes these step-in harnesses also included the chest cover. This chest cover is the middle strap that gets wider for covering the whole chest.
- Commanding the dog to sit; Now command your dog to sit and stay behind the harness. If your dog doesn’t understand the commands then you may need a partner that can hold your dog while putting the harnesses on.
- Placing the dog into the harness; Now you are all prepared. It’s time to put your dog into the harness.
First, put a right paw into the loop and then the left paw into the other loop. Keep noticed that you are putting the right paws into the right loops. In some harnesses, it is mentioned which loop is made for which paw. Like left and right is mentioned.
If haven’t mentioned it, do that with your instincts properly.
- Pulling the harness up; Once your dog has put his legs into the loops it is time to pull the harnesses up. The loops will get adjust at the top of the dog’s legs against his stomach.
Now tug the two sides around the dog’s back. The harness should fit properly around the dog’s belly and shoulder.
- Closing the clips; Join two sides of the clips by bringing them closer and fitting them into one and another.
Some harnesses may have more than one clip. So make sure that all the clips are properly closed.
- Adjusting the size; The harnesses have adjusters on each loop so you can adjust according to the size of your dog. You can make the harness tight and loose according to your wish.
For having a proper fit check, the dog doesn’t slip out of the harness, check while walking wearing a harnesses the dog move easily without getting stumble.
Putting on overhead harness:
Overhead harness is a little difficult to put on your dog. This may need a partner some time to put the harness on.
Follow the following steps to put on the overhead harness for your dog.
- Commanding the dog to sit; First before putting on the harness command your dog to sit calmly.
- Putting the neck hole into the neck; Once your dog sits calmly on your comment. Check for the neck hole in the harness and put that into the dog’s neck by sliding it over to the dog’s head.
Try to slide the neck hole on the shoulder side that on the lower neck.
- Putting the paws into the loops; Putting paws in the loop is quite different from what we use in the step-in harness. You have to put the paws into the loops by keeping the paws in your hand and putting them in the loops.
- Adjusting the loops and the straps; Now adjust the sloops properly on the doglegs. These loops are attached to a strap that will go on the backside of the dog’s stomach touching his belly. Adjust this strap too, so that the dog feels comfortable in the harness.
- Closing the buckles; Now look for the buckles the harness has and make each of them close properly. Ensure that the buckles are closed securely. Any negligence in this step can make your jog injured during his walk.
- Adjusting the size; Like the step-in harness, also comes with some adjusters. The adjuster may be are for the neck, legs, and stomach. Adjust them according to the fitting of your dog.
Your dog has put the harness on. Now you just have to attach the leash and your dog is ready to go on a walk with you or with his walker.
You can also read about the top-rated dog harness of 2021 here.
Can I leave my dog with the harness on all day?
Generally, it is ok to keep your dog with a harness all day. But try to remove it periodically so that his skin gets some fresh air, he gets relaxed, and if his hair is long then pay special attention that they don’t get entangled in the harness.
Should I walk my dog with a collar or harness?
Both harness and collar have their significances.
The collar is better for all-day use. But if your dog pulls himself so much during the walk then the risk of neck injury increases with the use of the collar.
A harness is comfortable while walking, it has better fitting too. But if your dog has long hair then it may get entangled in the harness.
Why do dogs don’t want to put their harness on?
Some dogs want to stay home all the time. Putting on a harness is the indication that they are going out for some walk. That’s why the dog resists putting the harness on.
Let’s conclude the discussion briefly.
Putting on the harness is a very easy thing to do if you know the tactics. Just you have to maintain your dog calm while putting on the harness. You can do it by treating them with treats after every step.
The crucial step in putting on the harness is the closing of the buckles. Any negligence in this step can lead you to bigger damages.
Ensure that buckles are closed properly before leaving the house.
Thank you for reading. If you like the article let us know in the comment section below.