There are some key pieces of equipment you’re going to need when you plan to take him for long walks or go hiking on heavily forested trails in your region. For each dog, a harness is always the first. In this article, we will tell you a complete guide on how to measure a dog for a harness.
Table of contents
How to measure a dog for harness:
For all dog lovers, a dog harness should be a must-tool, since harnesses are so much better than collars. Amazingly, because buyers commonly purchase the wrong size, dog harnesses are the most regularly returned pet products on Amazon. I’m discussing today how and when to measure a dog for a harness, pick the appropriate kind and guarantee a perfect match.
Easy steps to measure your dog:
It is crucial to measure your dog to evaluate what type of harness she requires, but it is clear here is to measure the harness size of your dog in five parameters.
- Take a measuring tape (use by tailors), measuring scale, rope, and marker to get exact measurements of the dog’s chest and neck. You need measurement results of the chest and neck, as the majority of harnesses mostly on the body would not go beyond that.
- Next, you have to make your dog stand straight and steady before measuring the dog for the harness. It’s a very important point since you’ll just get the correct dimensions in a much better way. If your dog can’t be measured by itself, find someone who knows your dog to help you. You should make sure that your dog must be standing on her weight with four legs.
- In the third step, you have to measure the dog‘s girth and area of her chest. Fold the measuring tape around his front legs and throughout his torso with the other hand, going through the extending part of his rib cage. Place this end next to one of the tape’s beginning. Place your finger on the figure that matches the start of the measurement of the tape. Hold secure on the tape, but still not tight. Label the rope where it connects at the withers when you use rope, and afterward measure its size against the scale.
- You have to measure your dog girth three times at least to get precise results because most dogs standstill.
- In the next step, you have to get the size of the neck area of your dog for certain dog harness models. That would be the skinniest portion of her collar, just above the withers, and just below where her collar generally stays.
- Note down the dimensions and size of your dog and taking this detail to the pet store with you. To find the most suitable harness type for your dog, you may need that detail. Second, search for such a harness which should be approximately two inches bigger than the measure you’ve taken. After that check the weight ranges. If the weight of your dog also fits within the item’s size range, then that would be perfect.
- At last, you have to place a harness on your dog’s body to check the size is perfect or not for your dog. To achieve the perfect match, you would need to switch and re-adjust the harness a few ways.
Reason to choose a dog harness
Many professional dog trainers and experts highly recommend the use of harnesses as compared to a collar because it is all the time best for walking dogs. Many dogs need more than a collar for the best walk with you. Collars may produce pressure on the windpipe of your dog and, in some cases, it is back. Rather than a squeeze, using a harness will avoid the squeezing, hacking impact you might have seen when your dog starts to pull out from the city towards a rodent or another dog.
As well as some harnesses have bonus features to keep such tasks easier, more exciting, and simpler for everyone concerned if you like to climb, race, or carry your dog in the car. More control over big dogs that appear to ignore their size may also be offered. The only difficulty is how to measure a dog’s collar. How do you know what’s best? This can varies breeds in the world and the particular dog’s personality.
It’s better to buy your dog’s harness nearby, as this allows you to take the dog with you before you purchase it and check it on. Be aware you can return it if you purchase a harness digitally. Since the shapes of all dogs are notably different, the harnesses suit each of them a bit differently. For your dog of the same type, a harness that is comfortable for my dog can cause itchiness.
Criteria for good Harness:
Following are the point you must consider before buying a harness for your dog
- It should be a perfect fit according to your dog size.
- It should be a comfortable fit before venturing out.
- Must provide safety.
- It the sturdy and best quality.
- It must give stylish look to your pet.
- Good quality and effective cost.
Suggestions for Dog harness sizing:
- When you’re unfamiliar with finding dog harnesses, the very first advice you want to do is go to your nearest pet shop and search out the possible options, even though you’re not purchasing there. Take with you your pet, find alternative styles to see which one you always want.
- When you are measuring dog size there must be no stress on the dog neck and as the dog runs, the harness must not squeeze or wrap.
- Look to the harness manufacturer for a product-specific harness fitting guide, because recommended sizes for your dog’s measurements can vary from brand to brand or style to style
- The harness doesn’t always drift back, or side-to-side, massively.
- When your dog’s specifications are all in middle, pick the greater harness model. Positioned the harness ready for a comfortable fit, after this.
- The harness for your dog must fit comfortably, but it is not tight. And according to the accurate neck fit, there must be sufficient space so that you can slip your hands under the harness but your dog should never be able to drift out from any section of the harness. Read about how to put on a dog harness here.
Albert James is a dog owner and veterinarian by profession. He loves to write about dogs. He can also provide you solutions about your dog’s health.