There are some critical pieces of equipment you’ll need when you plan to take him for long walks or go hiking on heavily forested trails in your region. For each dog, a harness is always the first. In this article, we will give you a complete guide on how to measure a dog for a harness.
How to measure a dog for Harness:
A dog harness should be a must-tool for all dog lovers since harnesses are so much better than collars. Amazingly, because buyers commonly purchase the wrong size, dog harnesses are the most regularly returned pet products on Amazon. I’m discussing today how and when to measure a dog for a harness, pick the appropriate kind and guarantee a perfect match.
Easy steps to measure your dog:
It is crucial to measure your dog to evaluate what type of Harness she requires, but it is clear here to measure your dog’s harness size in five parameters.
- Take a measuring tape (used by tailors), measuring scale, rope, and marker to get exact measurements of the dog’s chest and neck. You need measurement results of the chest and neck, as most harnesses mainly on the body would not go beyond that.
- Next, you have to make your dog stand straight and steady before measuring the dog for the Harness. It’s a critical point since you’ll get the correct dimensions much better. If your dog can’t be measured by itself, find someone who knows your dog to help you. You should make sure that your dog must be standing on her weight with four legs.
- In the third step, you have to measure the dog’s circumference and area of her chest. Fold the measuring tape around his front legs and throughout his torso with the other hand, going through the extending part of his rib cage. Place this end next to one of the tape’s beginning. Place your finger on the figure that matches the start of the measurement of the tape. Hold secure on the video, but still not tight. Label the rope where it connects at the withers when you use rope, and afterward, measure its size against the scale.
- You have to measure your dog’s girth three times to get precise results because most dogs standstill.
- In the next step, you have to get the size of your dog’s neck area for specific dog harness models. That would be the skinniest portion of her collar, just above the withers and below where her collar generally stays.
- Note down your dog’s dimensions and size and take this detail to the pet store with you. To find the most suitable harness type for your dog, you may need that detail. Second, search for such a harness which should be approximately two inches bigger than the measure you’ve taken. After that, check the weight ranges. If your dog’s weight also fits within the item’s size range, then that would be perfect.
- At last, you have to place a harness on your dog’s body to check whether the size is perfect or not for your dog. To achieve the ideal match, you need to switch and re-adjust the Harness a few ways.
Reason to choose a dog harness
Many professional dog trainers and experts highly recommend using harnesses as compared to a collar because it is all the time best for walking dogs. Many dogs need more than a collar for the best walk with you. Collars may pressure your dog’s windpipe, and it is back in some cases. Rather than a squeeze, using a harness will avoid the squeezing, hacking impact you might have seen when your dog starts to pull out from the city towards a rodent or another dog.
As well as some harnesses have bonus features to keep such tasks easier, more exciting, and simpler for everyone concerned if you like to climb, race, or carry your dog in the car. More control over big dogs that appear to ignore their size may also be offered. The only difficulty is how to measure a dog’s collar. How do you know what’s best? This can varies breeds in the world and the particular dog’s personality.
It’s better to buy your dog’s Harness nearby, as this allows you to take the dog with you before you purchase it and check it on. Be aware you can return it if you are buying a harness digitally. Since the shapes of all dogs are notably different, the saddles suit each of them a bit differently. For your dog of the same type, a harness that is comfortable for my dog can cause itchiness.
Criteria for good Harness:
Following are the point you must consider before buying a harness for your dog.
- It should be a perfect fit according to your dog’s size.
- It should be a comfortable fit before venturing out.
- Must provide safety.
- It the sturdy and best quality.
- It must give a stylish look to your pet.
- Good quality and effective cost.
Suggestions for Dog harness sizing:
- When you’re unfamiliar with finding dog harnesses, the first advice you want is to go to your nearest pet shop and search out the possible options, even though you’re not purchasing there. Take your pet and find alternative styles to see which one you always want.
- When measuring dog size, there must be no stress on the dog’s neck, and as the dog runs, the Harness must not squeeze or wrap.
- Look to the harness manufacturer for a product-specific harness fitting guide because recommended sizes for your dog’s measurements can vary from brand to brand or style to style.
- The Harness doesn’t always drift back, or side-to-side, massively.
- When your dog’s specifications are in the middle, pick the more excellent harness model and position the Harness ready for a comfortable fit.
- The Harness for your dog must fit comfortably, but it is not tight. And according to the accurate neck fit, there must be sufficient space to slip your hands under the Harness, but your dog should never be able to drift out from any section of the Harness. Read about how to put on a dog harness here.