Certain disease conditions are common in dogs, and one of these conditions is diarrhea. Diarrhea is a severe health condition in which there is a loss of nutrients and minerals through feces. Here I am going to provide you a detailed guide about diarrhea in dogs and how to prevent and treat diarrhea in dogs.
Table of contents
Diarrhea in dogs and it causes
Diarrhea is the discharge of feces in liquid form from the rectum. There is a loss of nutrients and proteins due to this condition. Diarrhea happens due to different situations. Here I am going to mention some of these conditions.
- A sudden change in diet is a significant factor in diarrhea. When there is a change in diet, there will be a disturbance in the gastrointestinal system which eventually results in diarrhea.
- Food intolerance due to wheat, egg, chicken, and salty food is the common cause of diarrhea.
- Overeating garbage can also result in the upset of the gastrointestinal system.
- Diarrhea also occurs due to some pathological conditions.
- Viral diseases like canine distemper, canine parvo, and coronavirus infection.
- Parasitic diseases like hookworms, roundworms, coccidiosis, giardiasis.
- Bacterial diseases like salmonellosis, colibacillosis.
- Due to the ingestion of any foreign body.
- Poisonous plants like Azaleas and rhododendrons contain toxins that cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Sometimes diarrhea also happens due to stress conditions.
- Antibiotics also cause diarrhea if they are used in excess.
Mechanism of action of diarrhea
Diarrhea occurs when there is secretion of water into the intestinal lumen, and there will be less absorption of fluid. The chloride channels open, followed by the uncontrolled flow of water.
Types of diarrhea
Diarrhea that lasts for 14 days and has three loose stools per day is called acute diarrhea.
Diarrhea that lasts for more than 14 days is called chronic diarrhea. The animal becomes emaciated and debilitated in this type of diarrhea.
How to treat diarrhea?
- Always consult with your veterinarian before treating diarrhea. You can use the following for the treatment of diarrhea. Dehydration is an essential clinical sign in diarrhea so that we can start with fluid therapy.
- Lactate ringer solution help in compensating the loss of alkali by reducing metabolic acidosis. Lactate ringer solution contains sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium chloride that help in lowering metabolic acidosis
- We can use different anti-diarrheal that stimulates fluid absorption.
- Oral rehydrate solution is the best form of fluid replacement therapy. It compensates for the loss of essential minerals.
- In the case of viral and bacterial diarrhea, we can use different antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection and to kill the bacteria, respectively.
- You can also use probiotics in the treatment of diarrhea.
Prevention of diarrhea
- Provide a clean environment for your dog.
- Change the diet slowly.
- Avoid food intolerance in the dog. Do not give allergic food to your dog.
- Vaccinate your dog to prevent bacterial and viral infections.
- Always choose the right diet.
- Protect your dog from food allergens.
Frequently asked questions
What are the home remedies for treating diarrhea?
White rice is an excellent home remedy for treating diarrhea.
What are the main signs of diarrhea?
Dehydration, lethargy, depression, are the main clinical signs of diarrhea
What can I do if my dog has diarrhea?
Always take advice from your veterinarian if your dog has diarrhea
What are the things to avoid in diarrhea?
Avoid giving food allergens like wheat and keep your dog in a clean environment.
So the best way to treat diarrhea is to consult with your veterinarian. Follow the prescription done by your veterinarian. I hope you like the article my dog has diarrhea and what to do if your dog has diarrhea, feel free to ask any question.