Some foods are right for your dog, but you need to take care of some potential harms to avoid some severe health conditions. Can dogs eat honey, and how to feed honey to your dog is a topic; you have come here to get the answers? Here I am going to provide you a detailed guide about can dogs eat honey.
Table of contents
Can dogs eat honey in 2020
Honey health benefits
- Honey reduces the level of bad cholesterol and increases the level of HDL, which is good cholesterol and thus reduces the risk of congestive heart failure for your dog.
- Honey reduces the level of triglycerides, thus increasing the risk of heart failure of your dog.
- Antioxidants present in honey can also lower the blood pressure. Honey also helps the body to fight against cancer.
- Studies suggest honey protects against allergic reactions. So honey is thought to be a treatment for seasonal allergic reactions of dogs.
- Honey is used for the treatment of different respiratory conditions and also uses in the curing of sore throat.
- Honey has a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal system. It is used in the treatment of stomach disorder.
- Honey enhances the immune system because it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Thus protect the body against different pathogens.
- Honey speeds up wound healing and acts as an antiseptic solution.
HONEY POTENTIAL HARMS
- Honey should not be given to your dog if it has diabetes because honey increases the blood sugar level and thus potentiate the effect of diabetes.
- Honey contains botulinum spores, so an excess of honey possesses harmful effects for your dog. It compromises the immune system.
- Honey contains fructose, which is not well digested in the digestive tract and thus causes bloat formation.
- Honey also causes dizziness, vomiting, and excessive perspiration, so avoid giving honey in excess amount.
- Honey results in tooth decay, so it is good to wash the teeth of your dog after feeding them.
How to give honey to your dog?
Always consult with your veterinarian before feeding honey to your dog. A quarter teaspoon of honey is right for your dog. A dog loves the sweet taste of honey, so you can also give it as a treat with other food. If your dog has a diabetic condition, never feed honey to your dog. Never feed honey to your dog in diabetic disease.
How to give raw honey to your dog?
Raw honey contains Clostridium botulinum spores, which hurt the health of a dog.
Alternatives for honey
Frequently asked questions
Is honey healthy for your dog?
Honey is healthy for dogs to eat in small quantities. But feeding too many honey increase the blood sugar level and thus increases the risk of diabetes.
What are the health benefits of honey?
Honey promotes healing and decreases the risk of heart failure.
Which type of honey is best for your dog?
Manuka honey is best for your dog as it treats cough and irritated throats.
Thus honey is safe for dogs to eat in small quantities. Treat should not contain over 10 percent of the dog’s diet. Feeding too many can cause diabetes and an upset stomach. So this is a detailed guide about can dogs eat honey. I hope you like the article, ask questions. Read more articles here.