It is always good to feed your dog some human food. There are certain health benefits you need to consider while feeding your dog human food. Cantaloupe is food available throughout the whole year. Here I am going to provide you with a detailed guide about can dogs eat cantaloupe and how can you give it to your dog.
Read out the full guide about the Westminster kennel club dog show 2021
Table of contents
Can dogs eat cantaloupe in 2020
What are the health benefits of cantaloupes?
- Cantaloupes are rich in vitamin A and vitamin C, which are essential nutrients for your dog. They are necessary for the condition of heat stress and the regeneration of epithelial cells of the skin. They help to keep maintaining a robust immune system of your dog.
- Cantaloupes also contain fibre which plays an essential role in digestion. Thus, cantaloupes help in avoiding condition like constipation.
- Cantaloupes also contain potassium which plays a pivotal role in maintaining heart health. Fibre, potassium in cantaloupes help in reducing the blood pressure.
- They contain a wide range of antioxidants like beta carotene, selenium, choline. These antioxidants aid in reducing asthma and help in preventing age-related macular degeneration. Thus it is essential for the health of the eye.
- Cantaloupes are a perfect diet for your dog in summer. They belong to the family of watermelon, thus play an essential role in maintaining the hydration status of your animal.
- Because of the full range of antioxidants, cantaloupes also play an essential role in combating cancer.
What are the harmful effects of cantaloupes?
- Cantaloupes are high in sugar, so better to avoid in the diabetic dog.
- The rind of cantaloupe is tough to digest. Besides, it also contains harmful bacteria which are not suitable for the health of your dog.
- Feeding too many cantaloupes can cause gastrointestinal damage, and your dog will show signs of vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
- Treats should not contain over 10 percent of the diet of the dog. So always give cantaloupes in moderation.
How to give cantaloupes to my dog?
Always consult with your veterinarian before giving cantaloupes. First, wash the cantaloupes and then remove the skin to avoid any chance of harmful bacteria and to increase the digestibility. After that, cut the cantaloupes in small pieces, then give it to your dog to avoid choking. This is the proper way of giving cantaloupes to your dog.
Can dogs eat cantaloupe seeds?
Yes, unlike other fruits seeds like apple, cherries which are toxic to a dog, cantaloupe seeds are perfectly fine for a dog.
Can dogs eat raw cantaloupes?
No, a dog cannot eat raw cantaloupes, so avoid giving it to your dog.
Alternatives for cantaloupes
If your dog does not like eating cantaloupes, here are some alternatives available:
Frequently asked questions about cantaloupes
Are cantaloupes healthy for my dog?
Yes, Cantaloupes contain lots of essential vitamins and minerals that play a vital role in the health of your dog.
How many cantaloupes can I give to my dog?
Humans, food or treats should not contain over 10 percent of the diet of the dog. So always give them in moderate amount.
Thus, the dog can eat cantaloupe, but an excess of everything is bad, so always give them in a moderate amount. I hope you like the article can dogs eat cantaloupe, feel free to asks questions. If you want to read about dog products, you can read this.